Friday, September 21, 2012

I want to be a runner!


I have never been really good at sports, mostly because I don't play them. I find team based sports where a ball is involved very intimidating. I also feel silly chasing after a ball (football, soccer ball, baseball, you name it).

I have always liked independent sports. Running, swimming, biking, etc. I like them because to get good at them, you have to compete with yourself. Your mind is seriously your most difficult competitor.

This is why I have always wanted to be a "runner." I have always felt like if I can overcome the roadblocks in my brain I can do ANYTHING! Getting physically fit to be a runner is the easy part, getting mentally fit is the most difficult.

So far, I have been overcoming some pretty difficult mental roadblocks and I feel ready to move my life into the direction of becoming a runner. Next year, when I go to California, I would like to run a half marathon. So, I need to keep preparing.



A month ago I ran the Albuquerque Color Run. It was a simple 5k that was not to be taken seriously. I loved that, it was super fun and a great start to get me motivated into a Runners lifestyle.

Ever since then I run about 4-5 times a week, running no less than 3 miles every time. I have been slowly increasing my distance and speed.



My next race is a 10k here in Rio Rancho New Mexico, Its called the Hobbler Gobbler 5k/10k Run. This run will take place on Thanksgiving Day. Im so excited! I see this as something to help me stay focused on my healthy lifestyle during the Holiday Season.



After the Hobbler Gobbler 10k I will begin my training for my first 1/2 Marathon. I have not picked a location for a 1/2 marathon yet. I am planning on visiting my family in California next summer. I would like to run my 1/2 marathon at that time so I can meet my family at the finish line!

So wish me luck, Im feeling pretty confident I can do this. I have attempted to "become a runner" every year, and every year I fail. With all that I have accomplished latley I feel I can do this. With the help of the Lord, I know I can do this!

1 comment:

  1. Did you know you can shorten your long links with Shortest and make $$$ from every click on your shortened urls.

    ReplyDelete